[Spits] Gas Prices

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 8 15:36:11 MST 2007

Jeff Scarbrough wrote:
>don't you think that if consumers ~wanted~ fuel-efficient cars, then they would be made in huge
>numbers?  Until you find a way to force people to buy them, why force the auto makers to build
>them?

The quickest way to achieve both objectives is for the US government to tax fuel to the same level
as in Europe. Here in the UK, approx 75% of the pump price on a gallon of gasoline goes straight to
government in tax. It's more still for diesel, though LPG is still pretty cheap - by comparison and
about half the cost of gasoline. This now makes heavy-footing a big six Triumph around our roads a
very occasional pleasure than heretofore.

Jonmac