[Spits] Gas Prices

doug at dougbraun.com doug at dougbraun.com
Fri Nov 9 06:44:19 MST 2007

And there are some that do not EVER require a safety/technical inspection,
like California.   And I never  heard of any assertions that it was responsible for
an increase in accident rates.

In most of the USA, I think a government policy of detailed, frequent inspections of relatively new
cars is a waste of time and money.  It would be like making everyone getting a MRI or colonoscopy
every year in an attempt to reduce cancer.  A one-minute check for bald tires is the only thing that
probably makes sense.

Maybe i a country where everyone drives beaters, inspections would probably be more useful.

I have driven a lot in Greece over the last 15 years, and I have noticed that on the average,
the cars have gotten much newer and nicer.  There used to be a lot of old Ladas, etc. on the road,
but now you see a normal-looking mix of late-model European and Japanese cars.
When i have seen an accident, it has just as likely been a big late-model BMW as an old Skoda.
That's because the BMW owner likes to drive on the highway at 180 km...

Doug

> heck...there are U.S. states/counties that require safety/emissions
> inspections twice per YEAR!   :-)
> ...it still doesn't stop the idiot behind the wheel.
>

> > In Germany every car has to pass a technical examination every
> two

 years
> > and
> > many cars find their life's end during this examination. Not so
> in

 Italy,