[Spits] GT6+ - rotoflex rear axles

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Fri Nov 16 20:18:39 MST 2007

On 16 Nov 2007 at 13:11, Jim Baustian wrote:

> I need a workable sequence for the installation of the rear
> suspension components of our GT6+.

Are the rotoflex couplings in place on the axles?  Inotherwords, are
the axle assemblies complete units?  'Cuz I can't tell you how to re-
assemble them.

Is the diff in place and the spring bolted down?  If not, bolt the
diff to the frame first, both front and rear attachments.  Then slide
the spring into its cavity and bolt the spring down to the top of the
diff.  A Spitfire has an access plate behind the seats to let you
bolt the spring to the diff.  If the GT6 doesn't or if you have
trouble getting the diff studs through the holes in the spring, you
may have to support the diff on a jack, unbolt it from the frame,
then lower it enough to get the spring installed.  On a Spitfire at
least this is not a problem.

I don't think the order of re-assembly of everything else is
especially important.  Put the vertical struts in place and bolt them
lightly into the spring eyes.  On a Spitfire you then just bolt up
the u-joints to the diff.  On a GT6+ it is probably best to do this
before installing the lower A-arms.  IIRC, on my Spitfire's last rear
end disassembly I bolted the trailing arms to the vertical struts
last.  The spring is not under stress when both rear wheels are off
the ground so the biggest problem with re-assembly is aligning bolt
holes between bushing and brackets.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com