[Spits] OD Mount

Bill Davies bill at rarebits4classics.co.uk
Mon Nov 26 00:23:28 MST 2007

> [mailto:spitfires-bounces+bill=rarebits4classics.co.uk at autox.team.net] On
> Behalf Of hdrider570 at peoplepc.com
>
> I just had to yet replace another rear engine mount in my Herald.  It is
> the OD type and only about a year old.  Are others
> experiancing this same proplem?  Basicly the blade that mounts to the OD
> seperated from the rubber both times.  Seems like it might
> be defective mount issue.

I'm afraid it's a matter of parts quality. The vertical part of the
overdrive mounting originally had a formed loop on the bottom face. This was
sunk into a rubber bed, itself surrounded by a U-channel.
The modern replacements have a simple vertical blade embedded in the rubber.
The weight of the gearbox applies a cutting force into the rubber, quickly
weakening the assembly in use.
As far as I am aware, no-one currently makes this part to the original
design.
Cheers,
Bill.