[Spits] Restorable? Your thoughts appreciated

Bill Gingerich bill at gingerich.us
Mon Jul 28 20:02:14 MDT 2008

Mike,

Let me preface by saying I am biased toward saving any Spitfire or GT6 I
can.  Hence I have 4 projects waiting, as well as my Spitfire driver.

If only that one rocker is bad, I think it's worth it.  I've never replaced
a rocker myself, so I have no firsthand experience.  What do you know about
the rest of the body?  If the other rocker, floors, and trunk all have holes
the size of the one in the picture, then you're getting into a lot of work
and expense.  In that case it might not be worth it.

The question of price is always difficult.  Do you have a feel for how much
of the car is there?  From the one picture, it looks like a lot is missing.
Trunk lid, dash, gauges, door glass, soft top frame, seats, gas tank,
bumpers, lights, etc. can add up fast.

My last question is what is your goal?  These cars currently don't command
the kind of sale price needed to cover the cost of a first class
restoration. You have to spend the money because you love the car.

Based on only what I can see, I'd be willing to pay $500 max.

Bill G
Newalla, OK
'74 Spitfire rolling restoration
'66 GT6 MkI project