[Spits] Tire Pressures

Greg Rowe growe58 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 13 07:32:51 MDT 2008

My 1978 owners manual reprint shows 21 lbs front and 26 rear.  But keep
in mind that reflects the level of tire technology of 30 years ago plus
(IMHO) a overly cautious response to the oversteer tendencies of the
rear suspension.

There are lots of different opinions on this plus ways to fine tune the
pressures with a tire thermometer.  Suffice to say that with today's
fuel costs plus tire improvements, you probably want 8-10 lbs MORE
than originally recommended.  I personally run 35 all around to reduce
understeer although the tires do tend to wear more in the center.

Don't exceed the maximum pressure rating of the tire.

Best!

Greg Rowe
Hatfield PA> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 05:57:11 -0700> From:
mmilkevitch at yahoo.com> To: spitfires at autox.team.net> Subject: [Spits] Tire
Pressures> > Hello Listers:> Would anyone know the correct tire pressures for
a '77> Spitfire? I think mine need "topping up" and I forget the correct>
pressures...> Thanks,> Matt Milkevitch> 1977 Spitfire> Willow Grove, PA>