[Spits] rear axles & u joints

Donald H Locker dhlocker at comcast.net
Sat Jun 21 08:36:47 MDT 2008

If the hub is not squarely on a straight shaft, it will wobble.  If the shaft is
bent, a squarely installed hub will wobble.  A U-joint whose yokes are way off
axis can make the hub wobble, but they'd have to be so far out that it would be
hard to assemble them.

I would bet on a bent shaft or cruft between the hub and shaft taper.

You should be able to check shaft straightness in-situ by slowly rotating it and
watching carefully.  Then I'd pull the hub.  I recall that you recently
assembled the axle and hub, so it should separate relatively easily.

HTH,
Donald.

Henry Stike wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies.......
>
> We had the car up on blocks,both sides, with the wheels & drums pulled.....

[snip]