[Spits] good news & bad news - shifter play.

scotts junk smacsjunk at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 2 13:40:24 MDT 2008

I'll second Doug's motion as the plastic ball at the base of the gear lever as
the prime suspect (mine have done just that this spring - it literally fell
out in pieces when I removed the remote gearlever extension). There are a
number of plastic bits in the linkage and all appear to have a pretty high
failure rate - have redone 3 transmissions this summer and all three had at
least one of the plastic bbushings in the linkage disintigrated/missing.

The good news is the repair kit (containing all the bits that break) is
relatively cheap and easy to install.

cheersScott> Subject: [Spits] good news & bad news - shifter play....The
gearshift has WAY too much front-back play. It stays in gear just great. The
lockballs & springs are behaving as intended, but the lever is playing it fast
& loose.> > I can only assume the bullet-shaped thing with the spring hasn't
siezed, but moreso is a bit stuck. Is there a way to get it back into working
without a major dismantle process? I figure if I can somehow get some
transmission lube along the rail, it will hopefully drip into the bullet
crevice and spring it back up again. > > If you measure from the gearshift
knob, there's about 1.5 inches of travel that wasn't there before. Is this an
artifact from not driving it regularly? It shifts & drives otherwise
perfectly.