[Spits] fixing gearbox leaks

Greg Rowe growe58 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 4 16:15:29 MDT 2008

You didn't say which gearbox you have, but the single rails
will leak from the rear seal.  You have to pull the driveshaft
and transmission cover to get at it, but the transmission
can be left in place.  Not too bad of a job and eliminated
most of my leak which was also landing right on the exhaust
pipe causing embarrassing smoke when idling at a long stop
light.  At this point, I suspect that the oil covering my
trans is actually from the engine as I never seem to need
to add any fluid to the trans anymore.

Best!

Greg Rowe> From: jimmuller at rcn.com> To: spitfires at autox.team.net> Date: Thu, 4
Sep 2008 17:56:50 -0400> Subject: [Spits] fixing gearbox leaks> > My
Spitfire's supposedly rebuilt gearbox drips oil onto the exhaust > pipe. It's
embarrasing, really. Visual inspection shows oil all > over the outside, a
classic case of external lubrication. I'm > guessing that, appearances
notwithstanding, it isn't really leaking > through the metal casing nor even
through most of the seams, but > rather from just one or two key places, that
the oil is being blown > around to make it *look* like the casing is porous.
And I'm thinking > I need to pull it and re-seal it.> > So the question is,
what would be the likely places? Front, rear, > both, other seams?> > Don't
know when I'm going to find the time to do this, but it needs > to be done.
Either that or build a shield.> > Tanks,> > Jim Muller> jimmuller at rcn.com>