[Spits] Rear Spring

Richard Gosling rbgosling at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 9 02:28:39 MST 2009

If you are worried about the car leaning to the drivers side, your focus
needs to be on the front suspension, not the rear (with a swing-spring
car).  The point of a swing-spring is that it swings - it therefore offers
no resistance to roll.  Well, one leaf is fixed, so it offers a very little
resistance, but not enough to cause or to fix a lean to one side.  Any roll
issues should be addressed by the front springs and/or the anti-roll bar
(unless you use adjustable air shocks at the rear, which always strikes me
as a bodge that addresses the symptom not the cause, plus front springs are
so much cheaper anyway!).

People talk about "rear end drivers side sag".  That talk scares me - do you
really think the car is only sagging to the drivers side at the back???
Unless your chassis is twisted, it should be leaning by exactly the same
amount at the front!!!  Because of the styling of the car, it tends to be
more visible at the rear, so I guess that's why this phrase arises.  What
worries me is that people think that, just because the sag is more visible
at the rear, it must be the rear suspension that needs fixing...

Richard