[Spits] Rear spring with too much arch

Stuart Greenwood sagreenwood at att.net
Tue Aug 3 13:22:50 MDT 2010

About 6 monhts ago I replaced the rear spring on my MkIV with a new one from
Moss Motors in Goleta.  The old one was bottoming going over dips in the road.
The problem I have is that the rear wheels now have quite a bit of
positive  camber  and I can feel the wheels "tucking in " when I go round a
corner even at moderate speeds. The only solutions I can come up with are get
the spring de-arched like Kasner says in his book or put a thick spacer
between
the diff and the spring to lift it up so that the drive shafts angle
becomes
closer to horizontal.  However the spacer idea is a little tricky
since it would
have to have a stub to locate in the hole on the diff and then
a hole in its'
top side so the stub on the spring bracket would slot in and
hence retain the
ability of the spring to pivot. It looks almost impossible
to drill holes lower
down in the uprights which carry the drive shafr
bearings hence lifting the
drive shafts without using a spacer. I was hoping
that the spring would de-arch
itself after a while but I put a load of bricks
in the trunk and just couldn't
get to even a zero camber let alone negative
camber as it should be.
Has anyone come across this problem and found a
solution?
I also notice that Kasner also recommends removing the loop on the
second leaf
but this loop looks like it is a safety device in the event
of failure of
the main leaf to upright attachment.
 Stuart a Greenwood
71 Mk