[Spits] Spitfires +GPS

Daniel Parrott parrotthead01 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 10 16:20:08 MDT 2010

I thought of using a "swinging trap" door (press a button and the GPA swings
up out of the dash) to mount my Garmin in the ashtray area.  I'm not sure if
there is enough room below the dash for the GPS to sit for storage.  In that
way, the GPS can be ready for use, but still "somewhat" secure from being
pilfered.

My other thought would be to relocate the heater controls down to the radio
area in the yoke, and to place a swing out/up DVD Player/GPS in the middle
of the dash, as with this unit on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JENSEN-VM9414-7-IN-DASH-POP-UP-NAVIGATION-DVD-RECEIVER-/
350372042590?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_5091wt_1137

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-DIN-7-Touch-Screen-Car-DVD-Player-Built-in-
GPS-MAP-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ270619002127QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo#ht_7482
wt_1165

I'm still working out the rear and top clearances for such an installation
in my Spit Six project before I make a commitment.  Any thoughts?

Dan Parrott
Savannah, Ga
1980 Triumph Spitfire "PJ"
1972/1978 Spit Six Project car "Joseph"