[Spits] Haynes manual wiring diagram

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Sat Jan 2 11:43:28 MST 2010

Thanks to Tod, Jim, and Andrew for responding to my question about the
interpretation of symbols in the Haynes wiring diagram.

The wiring diagram (credited to Tom O'Malley) at
http://www.triumphspitfire.com/wiring.html is really nice and I have printed
it out as a better alternative to the Haynes diagram.
However, unfortunately, I don't believe it answers my original question.
The O'Malley wiring diagram also has one of the same symbols and but does
not define it, either.  For example, in the Haynes diagram between Item 48
(Fuel Gauge) and Item 49 (Tank Unit) there is a circle divided into
quarters.  In the O'Malley diagram, the symbol is retained between the gauge
and the tank, but also does not say what it it represents.  There are lots
of these symbols in the O'Malley diagram without any definition of them.
In the Haynes diagram between Item 39 (Hazard Warning Switch) and Item 41
(Hazard/Flasher Unit) the Light Green/Brown wire goes through a circular
symbol that is half black and half white.  The O'Malley diagram shows
nothing but the wire between the two items.
The other Haynes symbol not defined is a circle divided into quarters with
alternate quarters colored either white or black.  The O'Malley diagram
neither uses this symbol nor shows anything it might represent.

It was also suggested that the symbols represent connectors, but if so, what
kind?  The usual Lucas type wire connectors are shown in both diagrams.

The link at http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/symbol.htm defines the circle
divided into quarters as the symbol for a transducer that converts
electrical energy into light, or in other words, a lamp bulb.  But that
obviously is not what it is used for in the Haynes diagram.

Anybody know for sure what these symbols mean? I'm sure there must be
someone on the list who has run into this before.

Thanks again!
Steve Byers
Havelock, NC