[Spits] Bent Axles?

Todd Bermudez red_tr250 at yahoo.com
Mon May 24 06:45:33 MDT 2010

Pretty sure I know the answer to this...just hoping I'm wrong.

After pulling the differential out of the wife's 1968 MK1 GT6 and replacing it, I'm reassembling everything.  I hung the axle assembly and installed the axles at the differential.  I hadn't installed the shock yet and decided to rotate the axle.  I noticed the spring going up & down...maybe 1/4"?  I did the other side & it did the same thing.  After getting the shocks installed I spun both axles & notice a slight up & down motion of the spring.  Is this normal?  Are both axles bent?  It's hard to tell with a straight edge.  For now, I'm going to "run what i brung" as I have to have it ready for the Louisville British Bash.  I do have another set of axles to use...of course they could be bent too?  I guess the proof will be the drive to Louisville.  I had the drive shaft balanced & new UJs installed in both the Driveshaft and axles.

TIA

Todd Bermudez
1968 GT6 RHD/w overdrive
Cincinnati, OH