[Spits] Bent Axles, Spitfires Digest, Vol 4, Issue 56

RON OHLENKAMP ronohlenkamp at msn.com
Tue May 25 12:10:01 MDT 2010

Todd,

Sounds odd, but I would wager that what you are seeing is resistance from your
new universal joints. Old UJ's are worn and sloppy, new UJ's, out of the box,
offer a lot more resistance to rotating out of "orbit". Run the new setup,
feel for any strange vibrations or harmonics, and check again. If it is still
suspicious, get the rear tires off the ground at least 4 inches, run the car
in first gear while watching the rear suspension for abnormalities. BTW, the
right rear spring will drop lower than the left, while performing this test.

Regards,

Ron

> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. Bent Axles? (Todd Bermudez)

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 05:45:33 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Todd Bermudez <red_tr250 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [Spits] Bent Axles?
> To: NASS Spitfire <nass at yahoogroups.com>, Spitfire List
> <spitfires at autox.team.net>
>
> Pretty sure I know the answer to this...just hoping I'm wrong.
>
> After pulling the differential out of the wife's 1968 MK1 GT6 and replacing
it, I'm reassembling everything. I hung the axle assembly and installed the
axles at the differential. I hadn't installed the shock yet and decided to
rotate the axle. I noticed the spring going up & down...maybe 1/4"? I did the
other side & it did the same thing. After getting the shocks installed I spun
both axles & notice a slight up & down motion of the spring. Is this normal?
Are both axles bent? It's hard to tell with a straight edge. For now, I'm
going to "run what i brung" as I have to have it ready for the Louisville
British Bash. I do have another set of axles to use...of course they could be
bent too? I guess the proof will be the drive to Louisville. I had the drive
shaft balanced & new UJs installed in both the Driveshaft and axles.