[Spits] GT6 gearbox query

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Sun Jan 2 14:27:46 MST 2011

I've put an exploded diagram up on my website so I'll refer to it:

http://users.rcn.com/jimmuller/pics/exploded_gearbox.jpg

I have a minor problemm at the front end of the mainshaft.  At the
front end of the shaft the 3rd gear #7 is locked on with a recessed
collar #6 and a thick snap ring #5 that snaps into a notch in the
shaft.  The notch is actually in the splines on the end of the shaft
and not shown in the diagram.

In the past I've never had trouble here even though the snap ring is
a tight fit, but now I can't get it to snap into place.  The thing
is, I can't see any way to gain any more space.  The position is
fixed at the rear by the split thrust washer #15 which fits into the
forward-most groove in the shaft (just to the right of ID #29).  All
the space between there and the washer #5 is taken up with bearing
sleeves #8 and #10 and thrust washers #9 and #13.  (Actually my box
has the "upgrade" part #11 from the Spitfire 3-rail box in place of
#9 and #10, but the effect is the same.)  As near as I can figure,
the snap ring must be deformed enough to prevent it from dropping
into place.

So does this sound like a reasonable explanation?

I guess I should get new spit washers and a new snap ring anyway.  It
will mean a $2 order from Spitbits when they have a minimum order of
$10.  Plus I'll have to way for the mail...

Thanks!

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com