[Spits] speedometer stopped working

Douglas Braun doug at dougbraun.com
Mon Jan 10 22:22:40 MST 2011

Maybe installing an electic fuel pump would solve the problem.  :-)

Try disconnecting the cable from the back of the speedometer, and see
if the inner cable turns at a speed roughly proportional to your
driving speed.  If trying to do this while actually driving is too
tricky, you could jack up the rear end so the wheels can turn freely.
While the car is still, you can also check that the inner cable is not
broken into multiple pieces.

But it sounds like the problem is in the speedo itself.  If the cable
were messed up, the speedometer needle would either twitch or bounce
erratically, or stay at zero.

BTW, how much error are you talking about?

Doug