[Spits] Incandescent to LED Conversion

Roger Elliott elliottr at rmi.net
Thu Apr 18 17:25:48 MDT 2013

Hi Dan,

Here are links to LEDs I used in my Spitfire and my wife's TR250. They
make the gauges very visible at night.

There are a few things I discovered though.
One problem is that they have so little resistance that the dash light
rheostat doesn't do anything to the brightness of the LEDs. Hasn't
really bothered me.

Two you have to be careful putting them in as the light part is not
tightly fixed to the base.  I twisted one of them apart screwing it in.

Three they are a little long to fit inside the domed light filter in the
gauges.  Some of those domes were already split open, so I just removed
them.  I did not use the LEDs for any of the indicator lights (brights,
oil, ammeter, turn signals,etc).

Here is a link to the dash lights I put in my wife's TR 250.  They are
screw base, which is what I suspect you want.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/e10-1-2w-6500k-70-lumen-5-smd-led-car-white-light-bulbs-pair-dc-12v-51359

Here is a link to bayonet based like Spitfire's use.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ba9s-1-2w-70-lumen-6500k-5-smd-led-car-white-light-bulbs-pair-dc-12v-51198

They also have the ones that look kind of like fuses that some of the
Triumphs use as trunk lights.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/36mm-0-3w-6-led-6500k-27-lumen-white-light-bulb-for-car-dc-12v-51170

I tried these:
http://www.ledlight.com/e10-screw-base-t10-concave-led-light.aspx, but
they didn't make the gauges any brighter.

Roger Elliott
80 Spitfire