[Spits] brake bleeding help

Joe Guinan spitfirejoe at email.com
Fri May 23 16:15:29 MDT 2014

As Don said - just get all the air out. It takes several fills and lots
of pumping sometimes. This happens ESPECIALLY if you have shaken the
brake fluif (sic) before filling the master cylinder reservoir. Don't say
that never happens, as I wouldn't know about it otherwise... (Blush...)
Even pouring the fluif in can add a lot of air bubbles. I now pour using
a plastic straw to guide the stream - and I get a lot fewer air bubbles
that way.  Sometimes you just have to let the air bubbles work their way
out over a few weeks of light driving.  Go for a drive, bleed the brakes.
Let sit overnight, rinse and repeat... You may need to ensure the shuttle
in the PDWA is centered. Usually not a tough task, but write back if you
have continued trouble. If you have not installed SpeedBleeders - I
highly recommend them. They make the job of bleeding the brakes a lot
less painful and it can be done easily by one person. They have a little
ball inside that keeps the caliper from sucking air in when you release
the pedal. Some FLAPS carry these (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store).  I
used to find them on eBay once in a while, but have always been able to
find them with a google search. Haven't tried recently... Of course, if
you have a leak somewhere you would see a puddle forming. So I won't
suggest looking for that. Nice to see someone using the correct spelling
for that brake system liquid, Don!  ;-)
Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE
spitfirejoe at email.com