[Spridgets] SU fuel pump problem

Frank Clarici spritenut at comcast.net
Wed Aug 8 21:27:06 MDT 2007

Ok I put a bench tested SU on a Midget and it worked fine for  a few
miles then crapped out. I took another bench tested SU fuel pump and
replaced the first one. I also checked that first pump on the bench and
it seemed to work just fine.
So tonight I take the car 4 miles into town to cruise night and it craps
out as I was pulling into the parking spot.
I tapped the fuel pump and it started ticking so I assumed it has a bum
ground.
Cruise night ends, Midget fires up and I leave only to get 1/2 way home
and have the pump crap out. This time I crawl under and wiggle it but
it's hot, very hot, and does not start ticking.
Call my son to bring truck and rope but by the time he arrives, the fuel
pump cooled down and starting working with out me beating on it.
The car made it home.
So what is causing the pump to get hot and crap out? I ran a new clean
ground to the body of the pump. it works fine when cool, This is a new
one on me. 2 pumps that work on the bench but not in the car.
Wires are good, ground is good. These are stock SU points type pumps.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ