[Spridgets] New Engine

Daniel1312 at aol.com Daniel1312 at aol.com
Thu Aug 30 16:53:09 MDT 2007

Hi list,

After about 2-3 years saving money (mostly in the last year) I finally
collected my new engine for my Sprite.  The block came out +60 rather than the +40 I
hoped for so maybe I'll get a new e-mail 'Daniel1330'.

The engine was built out of parts I'd been collecting for a while including
the block which I think I've had about 18 months.  The crank and rods came from
New York where Frank collected them in an engine I bought off ebay and which
he promptly shipped to APT in California for them to machine and ship to me in
the UK.  So, the crank and rods have some serious mileage in them already
(crank is wedged, rods are Cooper S and lightened and balanced etc).

The bottom end has a 4 bolt centre main with APTs conversion from bolts to
ARP studs.  Sump is a Peter May Engineering conversion to baffled (different
design to his earlier baffled sump.  Timing is a Titan belt drive since no-one
else has a belt drive conversion with an engine breather.

I have a new steel Peter May Engineering flywheel which is incredibly
detailed and not just lighter but lighter towards the outside - it's just over a 1lb
lighter than the steel flywheel in the car right now.  New design of 7.5"
clutch is also a lot lighter so should rev that little bit sharper and be that
little bit quicker from first gear.

I've fitted the water pump and need to paint the block and sump and fit other
bits to it ready for when the head arrives and I can get the whole thing
running.

Regards

Daniel1312