[Spridgets] primers....thinking out loud

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Sun Dec 30 14:52:09 MST 2007

Getting ready to start painting my '73 Midget restoration project.  The
first step will be the undercarriage, which has been "mechanically"
stripped (about 95% of OE undersealant has been removed).  Inner & outer
sills, lower door posts, and left rear fender are new, and I've gone to
great pains to duplicate the original seams between door posts & sills
and rear fender & sill.  New panels were sand-blasted, and POR-15
coated, with 3M Weld-Thru Primer applied over bare (blasted) metal in
all weld seam areas.  Of course, there will be some areas, around the
welds, where all paint is burned away.  In order to avoid any chance of
surface contamination prior to painting, I'll address those with Waxoyl
after ALL painting is finished.
Now, on to my question.  I stopped by my local autobody shop supply
house and picked up some PPG epoxy primer.  While reading the
instruction data sheet, I was disappointed to read that PPG calls for a
"soap & water wash".  Since I can't bake the car dry, there's NO WAY I'm
gonna apply any water to that Midget.  So, I've decided to switch back
to a Dupont system, and start with Variprime, a self-etching primer
which doesn't require any sort of water washing preparation......just a
good wipe-down with 3919S.
Of course, top/"shiny" surfaces will get an application of
primer-surfacer, before the base coat-clear coat acrylic lacquer top
coat (underside gets 3M Body Shutz, then paint).
Can you think of anything I haven't thought of, here?  It's been 17
years since I've painted a car, and I'm trying to avoid any blatantly
stupid mistakes......the less blatant stuff, I'll muddle through,
somehow ;)
Thanks.
Bud Osbourne