[Spridgets] HIF-44 leaking fuel

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 19:56:57 MDT 2007

68 Midget with 1275 and HIF44 carb.....

Any HIF-44 wizards out there?  There's a nearby car show come Saturday
I was thinking of taking the Midget to. I went out to the garage,
checked the usual items (oil, water, battery, etc), started it up and
drove it around a bit to circulate the oil for a re-check. About a
mile from the house it started gagging when I gave it gas. It would
work - sort of - if I left the choke out but I really struggled
getting it home under its own power. Fuel starvation??

Popped the bonnet and topped the dash pot on the single HIF-44 as it
was low. Runs better now and accelerates okay but not like it should.
Then I noticed gas pouring out of the HIF44!!  Right onto a hot
exhaust!!  Shut it down - gas stops leaking. Start it back up - gas
pours out again!  WTF??  Something stuck inside the carb?? I pulled
the K&N filter and all appears normal with the piston but gas leaks
whenever the engine is running.

What can you tell me about the HIF44?  I don't have any info on it -
it came on the car.  Does it have a float and float needle?  If so I
would suspect the needle valve not seating when the float bowl fills.
I will pull the carb tomorrow and see if there is anything obvious.

Dontcha know this kinda thing happens just when I have it all cleaned
up and ready to show off!!   That's an LBC thing, isn't it?

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City