[Spridgets] Tesla--the electric Lotus Elise

Glen Byrns grbyrns at ucdavis.edu
Mon Jul 9 11:01:20 MDT 2007

The same type of chopper circuit is used to extend battery life in lighting
circuits for mountain bikes, spelunkers, etc.
It uses the temperature sensitive resistance of the halogen filament to
compute the length of the "ON" pulse so no power is wasted beyond the
precise needs of the bulb.  I built one for my mountain bike light years ago
and it worked extremely well.  The best part is that no power is wasted as
heat as you would find with a bank of resistors, and the power sent to the
bulb is just enough to keep it at optimal temperature for good output
without excessive bulb temps.

Glen Byrns