[Spridgets] [midgetsprite] Re: This computer is driving me crazy!

derf derf247 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 13:46:02 MDT 2007

Well, to this day you can get authentic hog's head cheese at many places.
The boudin casing is real pig intestine.
Hog head cheese is a pig's head.
Cracklins are fried pig skin.

I'm sure you can get red boudin that doesn't have blood in it but that
isn't authentic either.
You have to get out in the woods to get real blood boudin, I think.

But, most of the other authentic stuff is available at suburban
specialty meat places, just like every other part of the country.
New Orleans has a lot to offer food wise but it ain't necessarily
authentic cajun stuff.  The other 99% of south Louisiana is different
from NO.

Where your part of the country may have bratwurst or Rocky Mountain
oysters, or sushi, this part of the country has jambalaya, etouffe,
boudin, and hog head cheese.

Andouille (pronounced "ahn-DOO-wee") and boudin (boo-dan) are pork or
chicken sausage products.
But, hogshead or hog head cheese isn't spiced sausage.
See John Folse recipe, he's no Emeril, but respected around here:
http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/meats/pork21.htm
Note first ingredient.
Cheers,
Derf