[Spridgets] Tranny Question - Not LBC

Chris M West chris_west at juno.com
Wed Jul 25 19:44:42 MDT 2007

Jack wrote:

The
stock answer from any Ford or independent trans place has been "...you
need to have your transmission rebuilt..."  I don't necessarily buy into
this but if there is any feedback from more knowledgeable listers, I'd
like really to hear it.

Jack, As stated earlier the first step is to change the fluid AND THE
FILTER.  Rear wheel drive (and 4x4)  Fords from the early '90s up are
pretty notorious for having fragile transmissions,  One way to make them
last longer is to change the fluid and filter once a year, regardless of
mileage.  BE SURE to use MERCON V rated fluid or else use standard Mercon
with an additional friction modifier such as made by Lubeguard and ATP.
My Aerostar has 269K miles on the original transmission (knock wood) and
the only service performed has been the aforementioned fluid / filter
changes.
Chris

AN5L35578