[Spridgets] Gearbox Oil

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 17:05:54 MDT 2007

What is the coating on the synchronizer rings?  The main caution I
have heard about using gear lube in older trannys (those which
originally recommended motor oil) concerns the lubes which contain
sulphur compounds. Over time and with the addition of any moisture
(H2O) you get minuet amounts of sulphuric acid (H2SO4) which attacks
and destroys brass and copper bushings...etc.  In old BMW motorcycle
trannys, the bushings are brass but even with them, it takes something
like 60K miles to do noticeable damage.

I understand however that there are various different compositions of
gear lube, some of which do not have the sulphur?

The other concern I had heard about gear lubes had to do with them
damaging the seals. This can be cured by using modern Viton seals. I
have done this with motorcycle trannys a few times. Also GL-4
application gear lubes will not attack the brass or copper bushings.
Modern GL-5 *will*.

Cheers!!
Jimindodgecity

On 7/29/07, Ron Soave <soavero at yahoo.com> wrote:
> It won't affect speed, it will affect the coating on
> the synchros. This from Eric Jones, who was a BMC
> factory mechanic, and has built thousands of
> gearboxes. Eric has also raced for 30+ years.
>
> --- Bud Osbourne <abcoz at hky.com> wrote:
>
> > Ron is correct, but, back in the 60s and 70s, my
> > buddies racing
> > Spridgets used 90 wt. gear lube in their rib-case
> > gearboxes, with
> > excellent results.  My "buddies" included the H
> > Production lap record
> > holder (the record stood for something over 5 or 6
> > years), and future F
> > Production nat'l champion Bob Criss, among others.

> that gives answers, not web links.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.
-Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)