[Spridgets] Civility ?

Michael Conn mconn2 at bright.net
Sun Jun 10 20:38:42 MDT 2007

Elizabeth,

Thank you for your e-mail, and I'm sorry for the delay in replying.   I was
away for the week-end.

I mentioned in an earlier e-mail  that when I first joined the List I
strongly objected to a conversation going on about guns.   I got some good
replies to that, I can tell you.   Maybe, you saw them, but I certainly sat
up and took notice.   As a result of the "replies" I apologized to the List,
and offered to leave.   The response (from more than one member) was no way
do you leave.   It was pointed out to me that such conversations were just
the nature of the List.   (I forget what one member called it "good ole
boys" or something like that.)

So, having said all that, I also say to you, in the strongest possible
terms, in no way do you leave.   Absolutely, in no way, in no way
whatsoever, do you leave.   To even think of it is incorrect.  I would like
you to write me confirming you will remain on the List, please.   If you do
leave, I shall also immediately do the same thing.   (I would not want to
leave because these guys have been, and are being, an enormous support to
me.   Believe me, I know just about nothing about cars.   I think it should
be illegal for people like me to even own a classic car!)

 To be candid, I've really quite enjoyed our conversation on a subject which
is a "hot potato", so to speak!   It's an intriguing subject.

I should explain one or two things.   I was born and lived in England for
most of my life.   My mother is English, and my father was an American.
For just about my whole life I have needed to come here to the US.   My
former wife (true blue English) disliked anything to do with America and/or
Americans.   My work also prevented me coming here.   My former wife and I
divorced, and slowly but surely I extricated myself from my work.   Finally,
12 years ago, I was, at last, able to come here.   I am now an American
citizen.

I am an anti-royalist (I think you've gathered this), and    have been for
many years.   The reasons for my coming here are several and varied, but one
of them (in addition to needing to find my roots) was (and is) my
anti-royalisim.   We can talk about the rise of royalty from as long ago as
around the year 900, we can talk about the reasons behind the War of
Independence and all the other aspects relating to the subject, but the long
and the short of it is you're either a royalist or an anti-royalist (I
suppose you could be a 'don't know').

I have found the US to be a hard country to live in.   It is unforgiving in
many ways.   In England I was a well remunerated member of one of the
professions.   In the US I am a machine operator in a factory, and still
find that work very hard, if only from an income point of view.  I have
suffered anti-Brit comments.   In all, it's okay, I'm here.

So, okay you're a royalist, and I'm an anti-royalist.   Two different points
of view on the same subject.   Here comes another quote from a Dylan poem!:
"You're right from your side, and I am right from mine".   That about sums
it up, wouldn't you say?

As I said earlier there are several reasons why I came to the US when I did,
and let me assure you that my anti-royalist sentiments are the simplest of
all the reasons to understand!

I look forward to receiving the requested confirmation e-mail as soon as
possible, please.

I have also sent a copy of my e-mail to the List to keep them informed of
what I really hope is our understanding on the 'hot potato" subject.   (I
would be more than happy to talk to you via e-mail off List.   It might
interest you to know some of the other reasons why I am here.)

I'll say it just one more time: I look forward to receiving the requested
e-mail as soon as possible, please.

Michael