[Spridgets] Cracked dash repair

Frank Clarici spritenut at comcast.net
Mon Jun 11 19:48:42 MDT 2007

68 and newer Spridgets.
I think I fixed a severely cracked dash tonight.
A little fiberglasd reinforced bondo (gorilla hair) and I filled the
crack with it, sanded it down with 180 grit, gave it another coat of
spot putty, sanded that with 320 grit and painted it with some vinyl
paint (interior in a can).
As I did sand off the vinyl grain, when I painted it, I hit the spot
with a 3rd coat but made it pretty heavy. Let it set up a little and
dabbed it with a towel to put the grain back in the vinyl.
I figured I could always get a dash cap if I screwed it up. I can see it
if I look close but I know where it is. I think it came out quite
acceptable for 1/2 of time and a little paint.
I hope the fiberglass bondo holds the vinyl crack together over time, if
not I'll have to get a cap which I was planning on anyway. Time will tell.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ