[Spridgets] Main bearing caps 1275

Hal Faulkner hal at katemuir.com
Tue Jun 12 12:28:47 MDT 2007

Spridgeteers,

I notice that both Vizard and Des Hammil recommend strapping the center main
bearing cap on an A-series engine.  No one says anything about the other
two.  Is it desirable to strap either of the others?  I am thinking of the
rear main in particular.  Any suggestions, ideas?
When the center main cap is strapped what happens to the oil pick-up
bracket?  Should the strap be drilled and tapped and the bracket modified,
or is one attachment point sufficient?  It seems  that if the oil pick-up
works loose it could have rather deleterious effects on the bottom end of
the motor, either by oil starvation or by direct interference with the
motion of the crank.

Hal