[Spridgets] Rib Case Gear box question

Paul Asgeirsson PAsgeirsson at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jun 18 22:09:56 MDT 2007

Hi Chris,

The remote has but one nylon or brass button to slip into a socket.  Is that
where you're having a problem?

However, the rear case half is where the 3 shifter forks are located for
what I think you're talking about.  In that case, it's pretty easy to miss
the three shifter forks lined up.  If this is a rib case, you need to get
the locating pin to the rear half lined up to the nearly correct spot so the
rear case will settle down properly.  The smooth case doesn't have that pin.
In either setup, you need to use a finger in the shifter socket and with the
rear case about 1/2" inch or so from the front case, you need to rotate the
rear case enough so you can put the shifter lever into the 3 forks.  Then
you can rotate it back and settle it down onto the front case.

Now, if you have used the proper shims on the rear bearing to jam it into
the case, these will want to move around a bit.  Use some sticky grease like
wheel bearing grease to stick them to the outer ring of that bearing.  That
helps a lot, but still be prepared to do this operation again!  And maybe
again! And possibly then again!

God luck,  Paul A