[Spridgets] was oil pickup...bottom end questions

Andy Webster a_d_webster at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jun 21 00:35:37 MDT 2007

I know Vizard et. al. say to strap it or fit a 4-bolt main...
  4 bolt main...line boring and the necessary deep pockets...say no more.
  As far as the strap goes... I just don't like the idea of milling away the guts of the main cap... I'm no engineer.. and no doubt some of you are... so feel free to correct me.

  Unless you're building a mental engine, wouldn't a set of ARP main studs be adequate, and considering no machining is required..similar $$ outlay as a strap?
  feel free to shoot me down or reassure me..I'm about to assemble an engine, so I might as well get the bottom end up to the task now.
  Inline 1275's are scarce and expensive here...I don't want to break mine.

  while on that topic... Is there any way to identify what year/series a crank is from by the numbers cast in it?
  I have an interesting situation which i have mentioned before where there is about .030 of crank end float when standard thrusts are fitted... Colin Dodds mentioned that this arises when an A+ crank finds its way into an A- block... or was it the other way around...?
  i have thinned down a set of .030 oversize thrusts to fit... but now I'm worried about the crank being in the right place end-wise.
  I figure BMC tolerances would let me proceed as long as there is no pinching between big ends and the crank cheeks.. anyone care to shed light on this?

  Andy
  Brisbane

derf <derf247 at gmail.com> wrote:
  Well said, well spoken. Succinct.