[Spridgets] Torque Sensing diff or LSD

Daniel1312 at aol.com Daniel1312 at aol.com
Fri Jun 22 01:22:55 MDT 2007

I suppose it's possible that the understanding of what LSD means is different
in the UK to the USA.

However, it's also easier to say I'd rather continue to call different things
the same name because it's simpler to do so.  Names can be misleading - ABS
stands for anti-lock brakes but makes no sense unless you are German.  Bosch
claimed at least in one UK magazine to have invented ABS and were really put out
when I pointed that Ferguson invented it before them.

In my experience there is NOTHING as confusing as calling different things
the same name.  My 4 yr old daughter calls stuff things when she doesn't know
the name of the item.  I have to work out what she means by asking a lot of
questions.

An LSD is not a Torsen and it works completely differently.  Of course the
end result is quite similar up to a point.  When I get to drive a 'fast' car
with rear wheel drive one of the first things I want to know is what sort of diff
it has.  A full throttle standing start usually answers the question and then
I know it's open, Torsen or LSD.  I do need to know that.  If I just think
it's an LSD I would still need to know what type to drive (not race)
accordingly.

Anything is right or wrong.  I can choose to call my Sprite a Spridget which
is correct but it's not a Midget.  If I had a 1500 Midget would I be correct
in calling it a Sprite because it was the same as a Sprite because they were
all Spridgets.  Is there a difference here and does it matter?  Or what if I had
a Midget and called it an MGB because they are both MGs - does it matter.

If people want to say I want to call a Torsen diff an LSD that's their choice
but it doesn't make it correct.  I've already said Wikipedia is unreliable -
what does it say about ABS and who invented it?  As far a torsen being the
same as an LSD I maintain it's not.  Anyone can call it the same thing if they
want to but it's not an interpretation.  I'ts obviously not new to me for people
to call a Torsen (or a Quaife ATB) an LSD but it's wrong and not helpful.

One of things I like about the list is learning new stuff. On the list I
don't claim to be anything different from anyone else and the merit in this my
arguments should stand on their own merit just the same as anyone elses.

Regards

Daniel1312