[Spridgets] Diffs again, if I may

derf derf247 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 13:23:51 MDT 2007

>  The effect in any situation is that the rear of the car will seek to
> step out towards the right (don't know why it's always to the right).

It goes to the right because of the "Right Hand Rule" of physics, I think.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-hand_rule
Isn't that also why NASCAR turns left?  And propellers turn the way they
turn?

While the Phantom may not be a clutch type, it does rely on friction to work
properly.  I refer to this pic again:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/Differential_free.png

Instead of using clutch discs to resist the different turning rates of the
axles (red and yellow gears) the Phantom acts similarly on the
planetary(green)gears.

In the clutch type, the clutches act on the axle gears.  The Phantom acts on
the planetary gears, to achieve the same goal.  The Phantom is essentially a
clutch, with spring pack and friction plates, but Mr. Daniel is ardent in
stating that it behaves differently, therefore is NOT considered a "clutch
type" LSD.

The goal of the LSD is to provide maximum traction, with both wheels
providing power to the ground, while allowing wheels to turn at slightly
different rates when cornering.

Why, if you jack up an open diff car and turn one wheel, does the other
wheel turn the opposite direction?  Understand this, and regular
differential action and then the way the Phantom works will be apparent.
Cheers,
Derf