[Spridgets] Mag Wheels

Herby herby at herbytoys.com
Fri Nov 9 19:34:54 MST 2007

What is the best method for crack testing a magnesium wheel?

Larry Miller
Larry,

Magnetic Particle is the best way to check for cracks. Though I don't think
it will work on magnesium.

The next best would be Fluorescent Penetrant. Using a penetrating dye that
shows up in blacklight. Eastwood used to sell kits but I don't see them on
their site. Search for penetrating dye kits or crack detection. They're
mostly used for finding cracks in cylinder heads.

I've also heard of something called Alumni-Check.

If you strike out on any of these you can bring it (them?) up to my work and
we can probably do them for you. One of the NDT (Non Destructive Testing)
techs is a car guy. Shouldn't take more than half an hour tops.

Herby
63 MKII Sprite (Herbytoy - patiently waiting)
62 MKII Sprite (the "resto-mod" driver)
00 Dakota R/T (the new toy)
herby at herbytoys.com
www.herbytoys.com