[Spridgets] What is still there?

Robert Bruce Evans b-evans at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 14 20:58:10 MST 2007

C'mon, folks, they aren't "traffic circles"!  They are roundabouts!  And
believe it or not, they are the greatest thing since sliced bread when you
use them in England!  Of course I have found the English drivers to be far
more courteous than we Yanks.  And that is the key to the effectiveness in
keeping traffic moving around a roundabout.  And the brilliance of them for
a Yank is that when you are lost, you can drive around and around and
around until you get your bearings...or you run out of gas!  I have to
admit that when I first started going to England back in Dirt AD, there
were times I wanted to put an American Flag on my car and a sign in my
window:  "Sorry!  Dumb Yank Driving".

All seriousness aside, roundabouts are truly a great way to manage traffic
if used properly.  American traffic engineers, unfortunately, have never
learned this lesson!  But a stop sign at the entrance?  Gotta be one of the
stoopidest things imaginable, although some roundabouts in England are
appearing with stoplights!

Buster Evans

No