[Spridgets] Darts--Daimler and Dodge

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 12:26:05 MDT 2007

David,

No doubt the word "dart" goes back a very long way. Oxford Dictionary
shows it as a French word descended from Germanic meaning "spear or
Lance".  More recently, of course, it is also used as a verb.

I was talking only about the term "Delta Dart" which, as far as I can
trace it, is the Convair F-106.

Cheers!!
Jim

On 10/15/07, David Lieb <dbl at chicagolandmgclub.com> wrote:
> > Interesting. But there is a somewhat earlier use of the name "Delta
> > Dart". In the early 50s Convair built the F-106 "Delta Dart"
> > interceptor. An aircraft capable of Mach II.  It just might be that
> > the name pre-dates its use in the car business.
>
> It pre-dates the Convair, too. The "standard" paper airplane
> everybody learns to fold first is also a "Dart". And how long
> have the Brits been using darts at their pubs?

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City
Don't miss 50 Years of Spridgets at Lake of the Ozarks, June 26-29, 2008!!
For info... http://www.Sprite-MidgetClub.org