[Spridgets] Early next month I'll go hunting for the metal scrap

Glen Byrns grbyrns at ucdavis.edu
Mon Oct 22 15:18:20 MDT 2007

Before I did all that hard work, I'd consider shoving a small magnet into
the end of a piece of small diameter flexible tubing and poking it throuygh
the dizzy hole and fishing around the pan for at least 15 minutes before I
tore the engine apart.  (an old model airplane plastic pushrod  works well)
Another approach is to stick a big flat magnet to the bottom of the oil pan
with some epoxy and pray a lot.
If, however, the teardown is a sure thing, stop after removing the head and
pushrods and do the magnet bit inside each pushrod bore and inside each
lifter.  If the little bit shows up, the teardown is over and Bob's your
uncle!

Glen