[Spridgets] Early next month I'll go hunting for the metal scrap

Timothy H. Collins thcollin at mtu.edu
Mon Oct 22 15:54:20 MDT 2007

Jim,
Did you try a powerful shop vacuum?
When you folks need powerful magnets, get them from a junked
microwave oven. The magnitron has two very powerful magnets each
about 1/2" thick and 2" in diameter with about a 3/4" hole. When you
open the microwave just poke around with a steel rod to locate the
magnitron if you aren't familiar with the innards of a microwave.
Just BE SURE that you stay clear of the BIG capacitor. Best bet is to
short the posts of the capacitor with your metal rod, then go poking
for the magnets. Old big computer disk drives have some dandy magnets
in them too. Both microwaves and drive magnets are powerful enough to
give you a blood blister if some skin gets caught between them. And,
you get to take something apart you have no intention of every trying
to put back together!!

At 04:56 PM 10/22/2007, Jim Johnson wrote:
>Spridgeteers,
>
>Early in November, I will finally get to dig into the 1275 looking for
>the damned little metal scrap that I knocked down through the valve
>cover into the rockers and push-rods.  Before I go crazy with
>obsessing over finding this pencil lead sized bit (about 1/16" x 1/16"
>in size) what are the chances that it could go down the push-rod hole
>and make it all the way into the oil pan?
>
>-

Tim Collins
1966 AH Sprite