[Spridgets] Some thoughts (actual LBC content!)

Robert E. Shlafer pilotrob at webtv.net
Sun Sep 2 05:07:22 MDT 2007

Jim...

the HiF44 incorporates within itself a PCV
port ("graduated orifice") and thus, no additional PCV valve is required in the line between flame arrestor/oil separator and carburettor.

Remove the in-line PCV valve....not req'd.
at all. And I agree it's probably mal-functioning at this point in time anyway and is responsible for your current leaking
problem.

Also required with carbs. so equipped is a
"intake air" source to the crankcase.
Thus, if you aren't already running one, use the "filtered" plastic oil cap used on the '67 (pre-emission) engines equipped with the older "flying saucer" PCV valve installed on the intake manifold.

(On later emissions-equipped motors, this
intake air source was provided via a line from a carbon cannister located in the engine compartment which fed a
"graduated orifice" incorporated in the
valve cover)

After you've removed the current PCV valve from the system, but before you again hook up the hose from the oil separator/flame arrestor to the carb's.
PCV port,  run the motor to be sure crankcase pressure/vapors can be felt/seen emitting freely from the crankcase at this point.

I've not previously known a flame arrester/oil separator to become clogged
but you never know.

Let me know how you make out on this when you get to it.

Cap'n. Bob      '60 :{)