[Spridgets] [midgetsprite] Vatting acid and SU carbs

Andy Webster a_d_webster at yahoo.com.au
Sun Sep 2 19:43:45 MDT 2007

So what is vatting acid?

  My mate used some glacial acetic acid (really really strong vinegar) to do a beautiful job cleaning the mikunis off his RD-500 bike.
  didn't need very long contact time. bright & shiny

  andy

Chris Manuel <cmanuel at wi.rr.com> wrote:
  Yeah you might not want to do that. I had the Bright Idea to take my
tractor carbs in to the machine shop where I work and have them soak them to
clean out the grunge from reformulated gas sitting in there for months.
(printing press) Yeah, it was for a Kohler lawn tractor but the same
idea...

It cleaned them allright, and pitted the crap out of them to the point of
unusable. Fuel bowl wouldn't even seal properly. Brass came out great...

Not sure what the SUs are made of, but I'll do mine by hand when the time
comes.

Chris

66MKIII
Brookfield, WI