[Spridgets] (no subject)

Robert Bruce Evans b-evans at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 10 18:11:09 MDT 2007

Ron Soave wrote:   "I thought it was absolutely brilliant satire."

"The Model T...conferred to Americans the notion of automobility as something akin to natural law, a right endowed by our Creator. A century later, the consequences of putting every living soul on gas-powered wheels are piling up, from the air over our cities to the sand under our soldiers' boots. And by the way, with its blacksmithed body panels and crude instruments, the Model T was a piece of junk, the Yugo of its day."

That ain't satire.  That is arrogant prattle.  Satire does not use witty sarcasm to discredit and ridicule progress, but rather to establish contempt for what the *writer* believes to be absurd or inane.

Buster