[Spridgets] WWWWWWWOT - electrical house wiring!

derf derf247 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 19:57:00 MDT 2007

On 9/21/07, Billy Zoom <billyzoom at billyzoom.com> wrote:
> I think the correct question would be...Why do you have white wires going to
> a light switch?

Because 14-2 Romex only has black, white, and ground.  You see it a
lot on 3-way switch jobs.  I guess they can't stand to spend an extra
nickel on the proper wire.  Some electricians will put a piece of
black tape on the white wire to help identify it.  As long as the
switch works, no one will see the work for 20-30 years anyway.  ALWAYS
check each wire for voltage.  A $20 "Volt Tick" is worth every penny.
On some circuits (277V) I think the neutral can get you, and it seems
like it is grey.
Cheers,
Derf