[Spridgets] Range extender (aka SU Needle...)

Dave G. dmg at bossig.com
Fri Apr 11 15:52:04 MDT 2008

To the best of my knowledge...
The Feds get into the act for Marine gas tanks in that they are supposed to
be explosion proof.
There is even a requirement that they meet the 2.5 minute fire test
specified in 33 CFR 183.580. Polyethyene fuel tanks used in Marine
service also must meet this standard.
They usually have have a fuel shut off or anti-siphon valve and are
mechanically vented.. The one I had also had a gas gauge with the pump
fittings already plumbed in...

The USCG BSC79 (April 1997) report on marine fuel tank inspections and
failures has much more detail if anyone is interested

Regular steel tanks - a la Walmart, Home Depot, etc. - are just spill proof
and usually do *not* have a safety ventilation system

If nothing else, use the (Wehrmacht designed) army 5 gallon Jerry Can.

For about 2 years, I was the Safety Officer for my CAP suqdron. Regular
Safety briefings were expected from me....  ;-((

--
Dave G.   KK7SS
'65 MK III Sprite in Richland, WA