[Spridgets] Electrical Problem

David Lieb dbl at chicagolandmgclub.com
Fri Apr 25 09:37:05 MDT 2008

> I have a start up problem with my 1968 midget. when i turn the key to
> start the engine the starter motor turns but the engine doesnt spark up.
> It's only when I release the key that it does fire up. It's as though the
> plugs only made a spark at the exact moment when I release the key. It's
> not such a big issue as i always end up managing to fire up the engine,
> but i have to rate if i've held the key long enough before releasing it.

Max,
It sounds like an issue with the ignition switch. You should be able to test
it by using a hot wire to supply +12VDC to the red/white wire at the starter
solenoid. This will kick in the starter, so please be sure that it is out of
gear, e-brake is set, etc. If the ignition key is on, you should be able to
start it up this way and tell whether you are getting spark while cranking
(easily verified with a timing light). If you are getting spark while
cranking this way, it is probably the switch, but I do not have a wiring
diagram here to eliminate alternate diagnoses. 1968 Spridgets did not use a
ballast, so there should be no bypass issues.
David Lieb
1972 1960 1974 1973