[Spridgets] cooling system issues revised---Help

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Fri Apr 25 10:12:46 MDT 2008

Ryan,
In a word: No.  If the head gasket (NOT the "valve gasket") is leaking,
it may be pressurizing the cooling system enough to blow the coolant out
past the pressure cap on the expansion tank, while the engine is
running.  However, when the engine is shut off, if the valves for the
combustion chamber with the gasket leak are closed, the cooling system
will remain pressurized until the rad plug, or expansion tank pressure
cap are opened.  If one of the valves is open, there will be no vacuum
or pressure to effect the cooling system, from that combustion chamber.
The important thing to remember is to not do anything major (like
pulling the head off) until a diagnosis is CONFIRMED by pressure-testing
the system.
But, like I mentioned in my earlier post, and as Vern says in his post,
indications are of a head gasket leak.
Bud Osbourne