[Spridgets] A series crankshafts

Matt Hagopian mhagopian at hoppetool.com
Sun Dec 7 13:23:38 MST 2008

I dont know but I have been reading up on camshafts,

I was wondering if anyone knew the advantage of a "scatter pattern" cam? I
have one in my bug right now, and with this new motor we are building, we
are looking for the best cam for our needs... power from 4500-7500rpm. Any
suggestion on a cam?

Update on the new motor:
Looks like we are going to go with hoosier 185/60/13, 4.55 rear ratio, 5spd
transmission, and this motor we are building... all bearings and pistons are
going to be calico coated to decrease resistance, we are going to go with a
full titanium valve train, titanium rockers, titanium valves(oversized), we
are going to stick with stock springs because of the decreased weight in
valves so hopefully we wont run into any valve float, we are going to have
the connecting rods lightened 100 grams each, engine is going to be bored
.040" over, still deciding on what pistons to go with(any suggestions?), and
we are going to have a lot of head work done. hopefully to have an end
result of 120hp and capable of 120mph. I did the calculations and with this
combo we need to reach 7500rpm to hit 120mph.(this doesnt include drag)

Anyone have a suggestion for a good A series 1275 book? I have Des Hammills
book but its just info, doesnt give any inside info on which parts to use,
just suggestions on good street motors and what is neccessary to have not to
have a meltdown of a race motor...

Thanks guys

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 1:31 PM, William McLeod <wbmcleod at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a list of the various A series crankshafts
> identified by casting numbers, or did it matter?
>
> TIA
> Bill
> Slightly Classics
> Tucson