[Spridgets] Rebuilding the Datsun 5 speed...

David Ramsey dwramsey at att.net
Mon Dec 15 19:38:02 MST 2008

The syncros should be measured every time you install one. The front bushing
on the counter shaft is also critical. Thickness of the circlips needs to be
right. Other than that it is just slap it together. I'd be glad to build you
one of $1K.
		Crash

Hello Charles,

     @nd what Bill M. said. .....I've never done it, BUT......

     I got a call from Paul A. one day. He's the maker of the
     MorrisService conversion and so far as i'm aware the originator
     or the 5 speed conversion for our cars... anyway he said one of
     his customers seemed to be having a problem with the shifting of
     his newly rebuilt (by Paul) tranny in his BE. Could I go out and
     meet him and we'd look together (since he did the installation
     into my SWA). We met up and went for a test drive. Sure enough,
     it was just like a crash box tranny. It could be double clutched
     but otherwise GRUNCHED on any change to second gear UP or DOWN.

     Paul is as good as his word (better even) and rebuilt the tranny
     again. With the same result! He was tearing his hair out and he
     doesn't have much to begin with. He had taken all the care in his
     power and has done countless numbers of rebuilds..... ..

     THEN he meausred the bronze syncho's (he showed me some sort of
     what I thought of as a great big star washer) and found them to
     be too THICK. only a couple of thousandsth, but they were out of
     spec. he had a pile of about 30 of them and fewer than half were
     useable. From then on he had to measure them every time he did a
     rebuild. ..... .. ..

--
Best regards,
 Bill L.                           mailto:pythias at pacifier.com

 '66 Sprite MKIII HAN8L49403   "the red thing"

  Marriage is one of the chief causes of divorce.
You are subscribed as dwramsey at att.net

http://www.team.net/archive