[Spridgets] bent frame rails

bv bvsprite at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 19 11:12:03 MST 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm not trying to stir up trouble here, and I really respect every ones
opinion/knowledge, but....

I see that 'everyone' so far is saying the rails are supposed to be bent,
however, nowhere, can I find any real documentation supporting this.  Is this
really part of the 'design' of the car, or just due to weakness in the frame
structure. I even notice that when I break hard in my car, I get some 'oil
canning' coming from the front end due to flex in the frame.
What I see, based on the design of the front frame rails, which is especially
apparent on the bugeye, is that repeated stress and breaking over a period of
time (oh, let's just say 40-50 years), would cause the frame rails to curve
slightly upward toward the front. On a fixed wing (fender) sprite, this might
not be as apparent because of the added reinforcement of the fenders.
I just can't imagine that at the factory they would actually 'bend the frame'
just to adjust front wheel camber, when they could just simply change/re drill
the top shock mounts, and or adjust the position of the A-arm mounts to
accomplish this during assembly.
Also, if you look at the bonnet alignment on the bugeye, it would fit and sit
much better if the frame rails were actually straight.  It seems to me, if
they  engineered the bend into the design of the car,  they would have also
engineered the fit of the bonnet accordingly.
So, does anyone have a pointer to any  references talking about the bent frame
rail phenomenon, or is this really just an 'urban legend' thing.

Regards, and happy holidays
Bryan Vandiver
'59 bugeye
San Jose, CA