[Spridgets] Top Gear

David Lieb dbl at chicagolandmgclub.com
Thu Dec 25 06:45:41 MST 2008

For those of us who do not get BBC here in the US, one of the timeliest
options for watching TG is to go to finalgear.com and download complete
episodes via bit torrent. They get posted within an hour of the end of each
show and usually take me 4 or 5 hours to download, then I can watch them at
any time, any number of times. The resolution has been pretty good the last
couple of seasons, which means that the files are a little over 700MB each,
so have plenty of drive space available. As you go back in time, you will
find more that are around 350MB and less visual quality.

IMHO the show is usually quite good, although the special episode between
last season and this one wherein they completely destroyed the yard of an
olympic gold-medalist rower was pathetic beyond description and no
perceptable humour to be found. I was beginning to think the show had
"jumped the shark", but the current season is the best material they have
ever put together. James has come out of his coccoon and is really a
valuable contributor to the show. Jemmy no longer automatically wins every
contest. They all said nice things about American cars. They tested a Tesla
and a Caterham Superlight.

If you like British humour (and you must if you own a Spridget) and you have
not watched an episode of this show, download one of this season's shows and
watch it. If you live anywhere near me (Chicagoland), and would like to
watch them, let me know and I will arrange something. I have virtually all
of the episodes of the reformulated show (12 seasons).

This year they started an Ozzie version of TG. It was just starting to come
together by the end of the year and I had high hopes for it, but I just
found out that their equivalent to Jemmy, Charlie Cox, has quit the show. It
will take a miracle to pull it off now. He was a great host. The other two
were a pair of buffoons. In time, they might have learned their roles or
been replaced (like Jason on TG-UK), but it will be hard to replace Charlie.
David Lieb